The trip to New York on the Queen Mary 2 was a unique and beautiful experience. The three talks I delivered were well received and had a powerful impact on some people based on the comments I received during the cruise.
I had a Cruise Liner on my Dream Board for 3 years visualising myself speaking on a large Cruise Liner never dreaming that it would be the QM2. I had to decide whether to stay an extra few days in New York to see if I could connect with anyone for potential business. In the end I decided to go for it.
I wasn’t easy
It was harder than I thought but on the last day I met Nancy and Esteban from a great speaking agency in Manhattan, and they were very interested in my personal story and area of expertise in Mental Resilience.
It was just one meeting in 4 days however it’s not the quantity but it’s the quality which counts. I have a strong feeling that this meeting could result in future bookings in America. We will have to wait and see but this is a seed I have sown which has the potential to produce fruit. They receive enquires for Mental Resilience and are excited at my potential.
It pays in the end
Sometimes we have to take risks, and this was a small example of this. I flip flopped backward and forwards over this because it meant 4 days apart from Julie with no guarantee of any meetings. But most successful people, perhaps all successful people have taken risks and not all have come to fruition but enough have to create success.
I came across this article regarding risk taking which I found to be very encouraging and quite profound.
7 reasons why risk-taking leads to success.
1. Amazing, otherwise unforeseen opportunities often come from risk-taking.
We tend to view risk-taking negatively, often regarding it as dangerous and even unwise. But while some risks certainly don’t pay off, it’s important to remember that some do. Reframing risk as an opportunity to succeed rather than a path to failure is something successful people do.
2. Taking risks shows confidence and helps you stand out.
Taking a risk is also a great opportunity to stand out and to present yourself as a leader, not a follower satisfied with the status quo.
3. We learn from risks and those lessons may lead us on an important, new path.
But beyond the external opportunities and recognition risk-taking can bring, it also provides an opportunity for internal growth.
4. Success won’t fall in your lap – you have to pursue it.
But beyond being personally or professionally beneficial, taking risks may be a necessary step in actively pursuing success.
5. You don’t achieve your dreams by playing it safe.
Risk-taking won’t only potentially benefit the career-path you’re already on – it may actually open you up to a world of possibilities you have yet to consider.
6. Embracing risk-taking helps you overcome a fear of failure.
The fear of failure is often seen as a major roadblock to success. But failure isn’t the end of one’s journey to success, but usually the beginning.
7. Taking a risk doesn’t mean doing so haphazardly.
While risk taking can clearly be personally and professionally beneficial, it doesn’t occur in a vacuum, either. People don’t benefit from risks without preparing to take them and educating themselves on the possible fall-out.
It’s not easy
Taking risks isn’t comfortable, but if you face your fear and do it anyway – amazing things start to happen if you take controlled risks.
Thoughts for the week.
1. Do you take any risks, or do you play it safe all the time?
2. Risk taking isn’t for everyone, but it is for those who want to stretch themselves.
3. This week have a think about any things you have avoided doing because the risk was too great.
4. See if there is anything you can take a risk on that is stretching but won’t result in disaster if it doesn’t come off.
5. Read again the 7 reasons why risk taking can lead to success and let them sink in.
Well it’s great to be back in the UK and I am looking forward to continuing the develepment of my business and to inspiring and encouraging people.
Have a great weekend and keep believing!
Off the Wall – How to Develop World Class Mental Resilience available HERE
http://www.jdmindcoach.co.uk/product/off-the-wall-how-to-develop-world-class-mental-resilience/ (Special offer. Put in code 10POUND when prompted to receive a signed copy for £10 including postage and packing – UK only)